Thursday, July 28, 2011

If You Have to Go to Hospital, Take Catie With You

On Wednesday, the new kitty decided to play ',attack Mum on the stairs.'  I fell and tried to roll into it and landed on the edge of the stair with my ribs.  I tried to call for Catie but I couldn't get enough air in my lungs so I crawled up the stairs to her room and woke her up.  I tried to get Mischief to get her but she just laid beside me and licked my face.

Catie woke up and called 911.  First she told them I was 42 which is inaccurate but nice.  They told her not to let me move and don't touch me.  To hell with that, I didn't have any pants on.  She helped me get shorts on and a bag of frozen peas.  She then got me some scope because for some reason I was upset that I had morning breath.   She then locked all the doors and put the cat in the bathroom and Mischief outside. 

I couldn't cry, not only because it hurts like hell but she would cry so we both bucked up and didn't cry.

The ambulance came and I couldn't argue about going because I was in hell.  The two ambulance attendants were, according to Catie, very cute.  One was a Sheldon with a sense of humour and one had rock god hair in a ponytail.  They drove at 40 km/hr because every time we hit a bump I screamed.  So Catie decided to distract me by one; asking the attendant could we stop and pick up a tattoo artist  because she wants us to get matching tattoos but I'm afraid of the pain.  She figured I wouldn't notice the pain with the condition I was in.
Two'  she decided to list all the furniture and dishes she is taking when she moves out with friends on August 1st.  (Cause that wouldn't add to my distress!)

People started cutting off the ambulance so she spent the trip giving drivers the finger, to delight of the ambulance attendant.

She told the ambulance attendants my allergies, had been smart enough to bring my daily medications.  She was furious when she was asked to repeat the information to the nurse and then the doctor and they still tried to give me Ansaids, which make my stomach bleed.  I was shaking so bad in pain that she offered to get me a carton of milk, to see if I could make butter. 

She asked for a blanket for me twice and when they didn't get it, walked right past the nurse and took one.  She then went back and stood at the nurse's elbow until they got an icepack.

They stuck an oxygen tube in my nose as I could not breathe deep and she named it the Chinese nose torture.

She tried to cheer me up by promising me Tim Horton's if I was a good girl during the exam and x-rays.  She then decided we didn't want to be "cockroaches, who can survive anything," anymore.  We are now those lizards that drop their tails when caught by a predator but we couldn't remember the name so she got the whole ER in on it and we came up with geckos. 

Being my daughter, she was very pleased that the slippers she brought, perfectly matched the hospital gown.  She was in her jammies with her rock chick boots not even done up.

She is an excellent wheelchair driver and the nurse asked if they could keep her because she politely explained to the man who was blocking the door with his wheelchair that she was going to park him off to the side.

She took me to x-ray and told a woman off for wearing too much perfume, sending me into an asthma attack.

When the doctor told her I'd cracked my ribs, the first thing she asked if I could drive. He said no and she was pleased that she would have to take my truck to drive me to appointments.  She then got all the instructions for ice, heat, medication and food.  She then took me to the Timmy's in the hospital and got me English toffee, 

When Dad picked us up, the first thing she said was, "Dad you're going to have to get me a key to the trucks because I have to drive Mom around.  I'll probably have to take the grasshopper when I move out so I can be on call for her."

When we got home, she got me to bed with pillows, books and my netbook and went to work.  Her first two customers were the ambulance attendants. 

I can't write much more as it took two days to get this written.  Moving my arm hurts.  I am bored out of my skull.  The grandgirlz came to see me and they were delightful.  I was upset I couldn't hold the baby but Rory offered to stay at our house and play Go Fish all day and Ivy patted me very gently and said, Poor Nona, Kisses to fix you?

No comments: