Thursday, April 14, 2011

Homeopathic Medicine.

(letter to friend, 2007)

I keep forgetting that not everyone grew up in my family and takes such an interest in homeopathic medicine.  I'm not a hippy freak, eschewing modern medicine, I am more than happy to take an antibiotic.
It occurred to me the other day though that some people  forget that homeopathic medicine is Medicine.  You should never use a tea in replacement of doctors orders but there are a lot of basic kitchen cupboard items that can help with minor illnesses.

I always keep some basic staples in my cupboard.

Chamomile is known for helping you sleep and calming nerves.

Rose hip and Hibiscus is best for energy.

Ginger and Mint tea are great for calming down upset stomachs.

Coffee will boost any pain killer with codeine and can help with a migraine.  (You should follow it with a glass of water as it can also be the cause of a migraine.)

Chocolate is a natural anti-depressant.

Baking soda is a tooth whitener, acidic stomach remedy, can help sooth rashes when used in a bath.  (Use sparingly as a tooth whitener as it can erode the enamel.)

Lavender in sachets or pot pourri can promote relaxation.

Chewing parsley will clean your breath.

Salt and baking soda will remove stains from coffee cups and counters.

Someone mentioned the other day they use salt water when their throat is sore but this is not actually a good idea.  Salt can dehydrate the tissue in your throat.  Baking soda and water or  a teaspoon of honey works better.

Small doses of alcohol can help fight off a cold, calm nerves but it will not help you sleep as some people think.  It can actually disturb your sleep.

Coffee and caffeinated tea are natural diuretics.

I can't think of more at this point but will add later.  Going to get my coffee so I can wake up.




No comments: