Monday, December 06, 2010

Mr. Squirrel Strikes Again

Well Mr. Squirrel has struck again!  For those of you who've never had to suffer a Mr. Squirrel story, let me introduce you.
We have a small, black squirrel that lives in our Lady tree out back.  It's a peeping Tom squirrel.  His favourite trick is to get himself outside our bedroom window and peep in on our lives.  Yvonne once let out a nice, sharp shriek when she was trying on a dress I'd made for her, only to discover a pair of beady black eyes checking her out from the window. 
I'm not sure what interests our lives hold for Mr. Squirrel?  What can he possibly find so fascinating?  Oh well, since squirrels don't have cable, I guess they have to find their fun where they can. 
His other favourite trick is to bait Ariel, the cat.  He runs up to the window and knocks on it until she comes.  Then he sits and chitters at her until she can't take it anymore and tries to jump through the glass.  I don't know how many times I've had to replace the screen when Mr. Squrrel miscalculates and the window is open.  Or maybe he doesn't miscalculate?  It's a 15 foot drop from our bedroom window and I have the only cat on the planet that's afraid of heights. 
When he does miscalculate, he skitters into the tree and laughs at her.  Oh yes.  I know he's a HE because he stands on his hind legs and puts his front paws on the window, giving us a full view of his gender.
For the past few years, Mr. Squirrel has discovered my garden.  He eats the heads off the tulips and roses, digs up bulbs, runs away with any recognizable vegetable and now today, I've discovered his latest thievery. 
Recently I've been picking up pine cones, acorns or any other fall nuts I can find as well as nice straight sticks and branches.  I'm saving them for Xmas decorations.  I've been piling them into a plant pot I have out front.  I've done pretty well so far.  I've got about half the container filled and it's a big one, the kind you use for trees. 
I leave them outside because I want to be sure there are no bugs.  Earwigs would fit just perfect between the cones leaves and I will douse them water and bleach before I bring them inside.  I should have known better.
Well, I was doing well.  That is, until Mr. Squirrel discovered my cache.  This morning I went out and found it half empty!!!!!!  Someone had taken all the acorns and most of the pine cones.  
At first, I thought it was neighbourhood kids.  You know, for their own crafts and games?  Then I noticed movement behind the pot.  Sure enough, a little black nose peeked itself over the edge of the pot.  Mr. Squirrel had struck again!  He probably considers it a take-out joint for squirrels.  Why work hard to scrounge for hibernation when you can just go pick up a quick nut or two?  I couldn't believe it. 
So I looked at him, said goodbye to my pine cones and very quietly asked, "Would you like fries with that?"
Gonna have to stash them in my basement.  I'll just pesticide them right away.
Take care
Kimberley

No comments: