Monday, December 06, 2010

Now We Are Six

March 09

When I was 6 years old I was going to grow up, be the perfect mommy who stayed at home and baked cookies, with maybe a part-time job to have my own pocket money. 
(Note:  This was the 60's in CANADA.  Women didn't emancipate here until the 1970's since we always let the Americans do things first so we could see if we would look really stupid trying them.)
When I was six I was never going to shave my legs, wear make-up or tight clothes just to be a conformist to a man's ideal of "woman". 
(Note:  But I was going to shave my armpits because ew-w-w-w-w)
When I was six I was never going to tell my children, "No."  I was going to let them decide their bedtime, what to wear, when to come home and what to eat.
When I was six I was going to play my music as loud as I wanted.
When I was six I was going to eat all the chocolate and ice cream I wanted.
Hmmmm....
I'm a mom who has to have a job to help my family have food money. 
I have to bake 600 cookies a month for various club bake sales.
I haven't had time to shave my legs in two weeks or access to the bathroom for more than three minutes without some kid knocking at the door asking, "How long are you going to be in there?"
My 16 yr old daughter keeps borrowing my make-up and losing it.
At my age, tight clothes laugh at me as they turn into torture devices designed to cut the circulation to my legs.
My son now has a "wife" and child so, Who am I to give him a curfew?
My daughter belongs to a roving band of teenagers who migrate from sleepover to sleepover so I see her about 20 minutes a week, just long enough to hand her money and vitamins.  The vitamins I find stuffed down the couch or stuck to her pizza dishes.
I have to have my music loud because I have calluses on my eardrums from my kids music.
I just get so frustrated with all of it that I just raid the kitchen for comfort food-----ice cream and chocolate.
Well.....
Who says you can't live out your childhood dreams????
(Note:  But I still do demand time to shave the armpits because, e-w-w-w-w-w)

No comments: