Monday, December 06, 2010

Well, we still have Mischief chewing incidents.  She's gone from chewing up the rugs to chewing up pencils and pens.  Like I say, "Other people have pet stains.  I have pen stains!" 
 
Now I remember when Lois had so much trouble with Riker.  He ate COUCHES and DOORS!  So I felt pretty petty worrying about rugs.  However, it was becoming a serious issue.
 
We had bought her a selection of chew toys.  Unfortunately, she ate them.  And did you know that pig's ears are bad for dogs?  So we went and bought her a Kong.  An oblong rubber chew toy that you put cookies and treats inside.  She was doing really well with it until she figured out the treat was on the inside and spent her time just licking out the treat.  She's not a dumb dog.
 
A few weeks ago the toy disappeared.  I looked all over the house, in the backyard and even in the car, just in case we had forgotten when we came back from the cottage.  No luck!  The toy is twenty-five bucks so I didn't want to buy another one until I was sure this one was lost.
 
"It's not penny-pinching," I thought, "just common sense."
 
Then one day, I noticed that she like to bury stuff in the back yard.  The Mountain Man often complained about Mischief digging holes but I figured that was all she was doing.  So the plan I came up with was simple---I would go dig up her holes and see if it was there. 
 
First thing!  We still have earwigs and they are right in front of the place Mischief likes to dig.  So I put on the MM's green Wellie's, a long sleeved jacket, tied up the pant legs and got some gloves.  Wasn't a fashion statement that needed to be remembered.  Every once in a while the earwigs would grab onto my pants or shirt and I would do the "freaky-bug" dance to get them off.  The little kids in the park out back thought it was hilarious. 
 
So off I go and start digging holes.  First, I found the lovely little fake flowers I had floated in my pond.  Mischief had eaten all of the petals and buried the centers.  I have to make some apologies  to the kids in the neighbourhood.  I had thought they were taking them because they were pretty.  C'mon, we are talking about people who stole the lawnmower CORD!  Not the whole lawnmower, just the dang cord.
 
Next I found a variety of garden tools, pieces of wood, unidentifiable bones and toys and finally the worst-----the head of my scarecrow!  I was a little upset.  I liked my scarecrow.  I gave him a decent reburial. 
 
What I didn't find was the Kong.  After about 3 hours and 30 holes, I gave up!  The thing was well and truly gone and I would have to buy another one.  
 
So our niece gave us an idea.  Give Mischief carrots!  They are good for dogs and hopefully they will wear out her jaw.  Unfortunately, Mischief doesn't LIKE carrots.  She's MM's dog for sure.  Meat and potatoes for this puppy!  
 
I came up with the idea that if I rubbed mesquite BBQ marinee on them, she might like them better.  It kinda worked.  
 
Now she walks around with a carrot in her mouth all day, stopping to give it a few good licks!  Looks kinda like a big fat cigar!  With her gremlin ears and the carrot, you would be forgiven for wondering if she's gonna pop up and say, "Eh, What's up Doc?"
 
Hopefully this will work.  I really hate the muzzle.  She just looks s-o-o-o-o pitiful with it on and anyone who knows me, knows the idea of a muzzle has cropped up in a few people's minds a time or two after spending an hour or so with me.  
 
Meanwhile, the city landscape guys came by the other day.  They were crowded around my backyard and scratching their heads.  I went out to see what the problem was.
 
"Uh Mam?  We think you may have groundhogs!  Look at all these holes!"
 
"Really?"I asked him.  "Do you think so?"   And scooted back into the house as fast as I could. 

 
Have a good day!
Kimberley

No comments: