Monday, December 06, 2010

There was an old lady...

October 03
I have always been inordinately proud of my Caitlin.  She's a good, sweet, girl next door.  We always get compliments from her friends parents about how polite she is, how nice she is.  In fact, last week we got a phone call from her Painting and Decorating teacher saying how he wishes he had more of her in the class because she is a wonderful student.  And I totally agree with them but they don't see the girl who never cleans her room and has the most subtle wit and I get the full dose.
Example.
Last week I was chasing a spider around the living room.  (Okay well maybe he was chasing me.)  I was really frustrated because we have spiders AND fruit flies!!!!!  "This is so unfair!" I cried to Caitlin, "Aren't the spider supposed to EAT the flies?!!!"  I took my frustration out on the spider and told him, "Hah!  That's for not doing your job!  Eaten a few more of these fruit flies and you might have had the energy to run away !"
Well Caitlin thought this was hilarious and she chuckled and said, "Well Mum.  We have the fly, the spider, the cat, the dog and the old lady!  We just need the horse and the lion!" 
"Huh?" I answered.
My little, adorable, nice girl starts singing, "There Was an Old Lady who Swallowed a Fly......."
I gritted my teeth and put on my bad company smile and sweetly asked, "And where did you find the old lady?"
She just smiled, patted my shoulder and said, "Oh Mum, you're always young to us!" 
Then she ran for it.

No comments: