Monday, December 06, 2010

Why the Mountain Man won't let me out on my own

Well today  Hubby felt I was well enough to be left overnight.    And nothing really bad happened to me but I did happen to get myself involved in an ongoing police investigation and come to attention of hubby's armoured car company's security. 
It all started when I went to the library on my own.  They've built one right behind our house, a short walk through a bike path.
I was walking along when I noticed a hint of blue in a tree.  Looking further I discovered they were a pair of Brinks pants.  So I picked them up.  Doug had mentioned a few weeks ago that someone was impersonating Brinks personnel and trying to do pick ups.  Uniforms are strictly monitored.  It's a criminal offence to wear a Brinks, cops or firepersons uniform if you aren't one.  Realizing it was only the pants and thinking there might be shirt too, I started looking for more parts of a uniform.  I didn't find any but I did find an "Outdoors Canada" camouflage bag.  I figured they were together and maybe somebody dropped them.  They were yucky and I didn't want to put my hand in the pockets so I came home and called Hubby to see what I should do.  I also noted the tag and made sure they weren't Hubby's. 
I saw that they belonged to a woman about my size and I couldn't see any name.  (Because Brinks guys will apparently "borrow" anything not nailed down EXCEPT money, the guys usually write their names in their uniforms.  Kind of like going to camp with live ammuntion.)
He told me to call Brinks and tell them.  The guy who answered the phone said, "Oh well, Don't worry about it.  Just send them with Hubby on Monday."  I called Hubby back and he said, "NO, CALL JAMES MY BOSS THIS MINUTE."  So I did but he wasn't there.  I left a message. 
When Hubby got home, he called and got James and James asked for details.  Hubby asked me to take him where I found the pants and bag exactly.  We walked over and while we were looking to see if we could find a shirt, some teenage boys we know from our neighbourhood came up and told us they found a wallet.  We took it from them, the boys helped us look for anything else and we were rewarded when we found a fishing lisence with a phone number. 
Coming home, we called the lady and this is the story we got.
Her wallet had been stolen from her husbands car/truck.  Her husband is a firefighter.  The teenagers who stole it used her credit card to rack up over 300 dollars of charges, including going to a gas station and movies.  They were caught on video.  The police were investigating and she was very upset.  I couldn't get her off the phone.  I tried to ask her  whether she wanted to pick it up or have us take it to the fire station?  She asked us to take it to the police station.  
I agreed and Hubby and I drove out to the police station after stopping at the neighbours to talk to Ricky's parents about giving the police their phone number so the lady could thank Ricky for returning her wallet.  They  agreed and were very proud of their son, which they should be.  What a difference in two sets of teens.  One finds a wallet and steals the credit cards, the other finds the nearest adult and hands it over?  
However, the wallets owner seemed to be more upset over (rightly) the loss of her kids pictures, personal stuff and oddly, the woman's pants in her husbands bag.  I made it very clear to her that the pants weren't in the bag, they were seperate but she seemed quite confused about them.  Uh Oh.
Anyway, the police station was closed but a uniformed officer was getting stuff from his car.  We grabbed him and the poor guy had a look that said very clearly, "Crap, paperwork!"  
We explained, handed over the stuff, gave our names.  While I explained how I discovered the pants and bag, he said, "You noticed that these were uniform pants all the way into that tree?  That was lucky."  
He tried to cover his laugh with a cough when I answered, "I'm a costumer.  I notice clothes in my sleep.  They don't belong in trees.  Unless you're Tarzan and then it would be a loincloth, I probably wouldn't have given that a second glance."
Hubby just shook his head and with a "She's a bit tired," glance at the cop and put me back in the car and took me home. 
Gotta go help Caitlin with her first sewing project.  She's making Keegan a scarf.  She's already jammed my Serger but I'm being a good mom and keeping calm and not making "Eep" noises.

Kimberley

No comments: