Sunday, January 09, 2011

Hey Kids-Grandpa has groupies

Gramma;

I may make jokes about my Mountain Man and his redneck upbringing but the family is in fact, well educated.  My mother-in-law was a school principal and above all else, my eighty year old (plus,) father in law has dedicated his retirement to recording, getting recognition and campaigning for an extremely worthy cause.  I won't get into the details here, I have another blog for serious issues but let's just say that the man commands respect across Canada in every town and city.  He forced an apology that was overdue by at least a hundred years from the governments of at least three countries. 

He gives lectures, write books, has been on countless PBS specials.

When we first met, you can bet they weren't thrilled their son had chosen me for a wife.  (I really got the clue when my mother-in-law starting crying during the wedding and did not say as quietly as she thought that she was devastated her son was marrying out of the religion.  She even told me once, "I pray everyday for my grandchildren with you as their mother."

After twenty-four years of marriage and a discovery of a mutual interest in theology, history, art and poetry, we get on like a house on fire.  I love and respect them and sometimes, yes, Grandad will go into lecture hall voice and go on and on and on.... (who does that remind you of?)   

What counts is that they love me now!  And I love them, no matter how much I grouch about them.  They are good solid, people.  It's just that like all teachers, they can be a wee tiny bit pompous for my taste.

Anyway, point is that I went to a book signing a few weeks ago and a woman saw my nametag.  I never really understood the definition of "pouncing on a person"  until I met this woman.  "Are you related to Him????"  She wide eyed asked me.   (Him?  Goodness woman I can hear the capital letter in your voice!)

 "Um yes???"  I answered and grasped my granddaughter by the hand ready to bolt for it.  This woman  was really excited.

  "Oh My God! " she squealed.  "I have been to all of His lectures, read all of His books.  I saw the PBS special in November!!!!!!"  (She was practically fainting.)

"It must be such a privilege to be related to such a man!!!"  (I started the frantic behind the back waving and the eyeing of the hubby which in married language means, 'This one's a nutjob!  Get me out of here!')

"Oh to be able to listen to him lecture all the time.  You are S0-0-0-0-0-0-0 lucky!"  (She grabbed both my hands with hers and she had sweatier palms than a teen boy on a first date.)

It took twenty minutes for me to make a graceful exit.  (God bless little children.  I have never heard sweeter words than my four year old granddaughter's 'I gotta go pee!' )

I quickly made my goodbyes.  "Um, okay, well thank you. I'll be happy to let him know that you appreciate his work.  Yeah we are all really proud of him."

Then I grabbed my granddaughter and ran for the exit.

I told Hubby all about it on the way home.

"You're dad has groupies."  we both roared.  (If you have ever seen the man first thing in morning in his housecoat and slippers, scratching his furry chest with what's left of his hair going every which way you would be roaring at the idea of his groupies too.)

"She just kept going on and on about hearing him talk and attending his lectures."  I told Hubby as I wiped the tears out of my eyes and caught my breath.

"Well honey, did you say it to her?" (My Mountain Man knows me so well.)

"No I did not let her hear me say, 'Wow, I've spent half my marriage trying to get out of them!'"

Kimberley. 

PS.  I was talking to my Caitlin about this today and she turned and looked at me in wide-eyed horror!  Grampa's got groupies???  OMG that is just so wrong!

PSS Is there such a thing as History Groupies?

No comments: